Other local requirements
Are there any other key local requirements?
The marketing of prize promotions is subject to quite strict rules. As such the terms and conditions for the prize promotions must generally be clear, unambiguous and easily accessible for the consumer.
The consumer must receive all necessary significant information to be able to assess the value of the prize promotion.
The marketing materials for a prize competition must include the following information:
- Limitations based on age or geography;
- The value of the prize;
- The chances of winning, if such chances can be determined;
- How many prizes that are included in the competition;
- The selection process (i.e. how the winner is selected);
- The date on which the winner is selected;
- Where and when the name of the winner will be published;
- Conditions for delivery or pick up of the prize;
- The period of limitation.
Note: When prize promotions are marketed towards kids and youths the requirements are intensified. Special attention must be put into ensuring that the kids and youths understand not only the terms and conditions of the prize promotion, but also that the prize promotion is part of the company's marketing.
Prize promotions on social media are in general subject to the same conditions as mentioned above.
A consumer can only by contacted by phone, e-mail or text if the consumer has given his/her clear consent hereto. Promoters are allowed to use prize promotions to achieve such a consent. However, where this is an intention, the consumer must be clearly informed hereof before the consumer provides his/her contact information. Further the consumer must actively choose to give the consent (i.e. consent hidden in the term and conditions or the data policy is not allowed).