Other local requirements
Are there any other key local requirements?
The promotion of prize promotions must comply with general marketing law requirements, such as being legal, decent, honest and truthful.
Prize promotions must be performed in accordance with the conditions originally set forth by the promoter. Also, the same conditions must apply to all participants and the assessment of the contributions must be impartial and reliable. It is not permissible to select the winner in an arbitrary manner.
Furthermore, it is important to provide sufficient information when organizing a competition. The following list is a compilation of the information that should be provided when organizing a promotional competition:
- The promoters name, address and contact details.
- All the terms and conditions associated with the promotion, including time limits and other restrictions or limitations, should be indicated in a clear and exhaustive manner.
- A detailed and unambiguous description of the assignment, and how the winner is to be selected. The participant must be able to assess the nature and the objective of the competition.
- All costs, fees and confirmation of whether or not there is a purchase requirement associated with the participation.
- A clear and comprehensive description of the assessment and the decisive factors when choosing a winner. Also, if applicable, the composition of the judging panel.
- Extensive information concerning the prizes, namely the number, value and sort. Also, one is required to provide information regarding whether or not the prizes may be exchanged for a cash substitute equal to its value.
- When and how the results will be publicized and the winners will be contacted. Please note that it is not sufficient to only contact the winner(s) of a competition. Instead, the results should be made as publicly available as the competition itself.
- Whether or not the winner may be liable to pay any taxes.
- If the winner or winning contributions will be used in any other context; information concerning such use must be provided.
- Finally, if personal data will be processed, one must provide the registered person with information regarding the processing and the registered person's rights. It may also be necessary to obtain consent from the participants.