Selection of winners
Are there any requirements for the selection of winners and award of prizes?
We are not aware of any requirements in relation to the selection of winners and the award of prizes in the context of 'prize draws'.
In the context of certain exempt public lotteries such as Customer Lotteries and Non-commercial Organization Lotteries, it is a requirement that these lotteries do not include a 'Roll-over'. A 'Roll-over' is an arrangement whereby if a prize is not allocated or claimed in one lottery, the value of the prizes available for allocation in another lottery increases.
When an exemption to conduct a draw is granted to an organization by the MHA, pursuant to the general exemptions available within either the RGA or the CGHA, then such exemption is subject to certain conditions that the MHA may impose, including:
- The methodology of the promotion, the details of the prizes to be distributed, their manner of distribution and where the winners are determined solely or partly by a draw, the time, date and place of the draw must be disclosed in print material, copies of which must be freely available to all participants.
- Each draw must be conducted in public or, if conducted in private by means of a computerized system, be witnessed and audited by a public accountant who is not in the employment of the organization.
Generally, in respect of permits granted under the PLA, the permit officer may in granting any permit impose conditions such as:
- The amount and number of prizes to be offered;
- The number of tickets or chances to be offered for sale in such lottery and the prices and denominations of such tickets or chances;
- The persons by whom, the manner in which, and the places at which, the tickets or chances may be sold or distributed and the persons or classes of persons to whom the tickets or chances may be sold or distributed; and
- The time, place and manner in which the winners of prizes will be determined.