Can a prize promotion be run that is based on skill?
Yes, but ensure:
- The winner is determined on the basis of skill not chance, particularly if the entrant pays to enter.
- The skill element requires entrants to exercise skill or judgement or to display knowledge as part of requirements which either prevent a significant proportion of potential entrants from taking part or prevent a significant proportion of entrants from receiving a prize. (If this level of skill is not met, it could be categorized as a promotion determined on the basis of chance and as such if payment is required, this would be a lottery, giving rise to criminal liability if the appropriate license is not obtained).
Note: Asking one question the answer to which is widely known is unlikely to qualify as sufficient exercise of 'skill, knowledge or judgement'.and
- Terms are notified to entrant before purchase is made.
If a multiple choice format is used:
- There must be significant plausible alternatives to the correct answer, and
- The correct answer must not be obviously given close to the question